Human Anatomy & Physiology, Global Edition
Guide students to focus on “big picture” concepts before exploring details
- Unique Chapter Roadmaps provide a visual overview of the key concepts in the chapter and show how they relate to each other. Each key concept “brick” in the roadmap corresponds to a numbered section within the chapter, beginning with a declarative statement that helps learners quickly grasp the “big idea” of the topic discussion.
- Key Concept Modular Organization helps students master the core material, easily navigate the chapter, and maintain their focus. This clear and succinct presentation delivers core concepts in manageable chunks that are easier for students to manage and reference.
- NEW! Text recall icons guide students to review specific pages where a concept was first introduced.
- EXPANDED! Making Connections questions appear in every chapter (except Chapter 1), and challenge students to relate different concepts across body systems and chapters.
Engage students in building visual literacy skills and interpreting visual information
- EXPANDED! 6 New Focus Figures (for a total of 26) Focus Figures walk students through complex processes using exceptionally clear, easy tofollow illustrations with integrated text explanations. Focus Figure Coaching Activities can be assigned through Mastering A&P as figure walkthrough videos with assessments and/or as multi-part coaching activities. New Focus Figures can be assigned with new “mini animation” coaching activities in Mastering A&P and include:
- Fig 3.1 The Plasma Membrane
- Fig 11.4 Postsynaptic Potentials and Their Summation
- Fig 16.2 Stress and the Adrenal Gland
- Fig 18.2 The Cardiac Cycle
- Fig 21.1 An Example of a Primary Immune Response
- Fig 28.2 Fetal and newborn Circulation
- EXPANDED! 31 unique In-Line Figures are strategically placed within the text to visually reinforce the text discussion. This innovation is the latest example of how the authors carefully integrate art and text, almost always presenting words and visuals on the same two-page spread so that readers can efficiently learn, visualise and remember concepts
- NEW! “Draw” questions ask students to create visuals that reinforce important concepts by drawing a structure, annotating a figure, or creating a summary table. Students can check their work using the expanded answer key at the back of the text.
- NEW! 47 Check Your Understanding questions include an illustration as part of the question and require students to practice visual literacy skills.
- Blue text annotations appear in selected figures and represent the voice of an A&P instructor, highlighting important points to remember. In some figures the text is broken into numbered steps to help students more easily understand processes one step at a time. Consistent visual presentation is applied throughout the text so that at least one figure, image, or table is included in every two-page spread.
Support learners at every level, from novice to expert
- EXPANDED! 13 NEW! Summary Tables present key information and serve as “one-stop shopping” student tools.
- NEW! Check Your Understanding sections in each chapter now include a greater variety and range of question types, including higher-level questions labeled Apply, Predict, What If?, Draw, and Make Connections questions. Dozens of new visual questions ask students to label structures or interpret visual information.
- NEW! All End-of-Chapter Review questions reinforce the main ideas of the chapter and are now organized into three levels of difficulty based on Bloom’s Taxonomy categories:
- Level 1: Remember/Understand
- Level 2: Apply/Analyse
- Level 3: Evaluate/Synthesise
Motivate and prepare students for careers in health care that require real-world problem solving
- UPDATED! Career Connection videos feature real health care professionals and include assignable questions that ask learners to apply chapter content to examples from their everyday work as a nurse or—NEW!—as a physical therapist. Referenced at the beginning of each chapter with a “preview” image, students can view the videos through Mastering A&P.
- UPDATED! Clinical Case Studies with new NCLEX-Style questions challenge students to apply knowledge to realistic clinical scenarios and appear at the end of chapters 5-29.
- NEW! NCLEX-Style questions have been added to each Clinical Case Study and give students practice answering the kinds of challenging questions that they will eventually encounter on a licensing exam. Students can practice answering these questions on their own or in collaboration with classmates. New NCLEX-Style questions are assignable in Mastering A&P.
- UPDATED! Homeostatic Imbalance discussions alert students to the consequences of body systems not functioning optimally. Relevant photos have been added to selected discussions for visual reinforcement. These sections discuss many common pathological conditions as a way of clarifying and illuminating normal body function. Every Homeostatic Imbalance feature has an assignable clinical question in Mastering A&P.
- NEW! Relevant clinical photos have been added to selected discussions for visual reinforcement.