For first-year undergraduate modules in Engineering Mathematics.
Develop core understanding and mathematics skills within an engineering context
Modern Engineering Mathematics, 6th Edition
by Professors Glyn James and Phil Dyke, draws on the teaching experience and knowledge of three co-authors, Matthew Craven, John Searl and Yinghui Wei, to provide a comprehensive course textbook explaining the mathematics required for students studying first-year engineering. No matter which field of engineering they will go on to study, this text provides a grounding of core mathematical concepts illustrated with a range of engineering applications. Its other hallmark features include its clear explanations and writing style, and the inclusion of hundreds of fully worked examples and exercises which demonstrate the methods and uses of mathematics in the real world. Woven into the text throughout, the authors put concepts into an engineering context, so students can understand the relevance of mathematical techniques and gain a fuller appreciation of how to draw upon them in their studies and future careers.
- This textbook explains the mathematics required for students studying first-year engineering with a clear writing style, and links mathematics to what is used in engineering problems in the real world.
- Over 1200 exercises in this book encourage engagement with understanding of concepts and encourage learning by doing. Many are embedded in frequent, bite-size sections within chapters, to allow active study straight away, and each chapter also contains end-of-chapter review exercises, providing a wealth of practice material.
- Online ‘refresher units' cover topics students should have encountered at school but which they may not remember and maths they may have not used for some time.
- Work to do in MATLAB environment as well as MAPLE software is integrated in the text, with icons to show where using these is recommended. The incorporation of these powerful tools shows students how they can be used to support their work in mathematics.
- NEW! R software has been used within examples in Chapter 13 Data Handling and Probability Theory, modernising this chapter and demonstrating the power of this statistical computing tool.
- Numerical methods have been integrated into the analytical exercises within the chapters of the book so that in your teaching more complex problems can be solved by drawing upon some of these methods in order to more realistically mirror what is used in the real world.
- UPDATED! 500 fully worked examples, including additional examples for this 6th Edition, demonstrate relevance to anyone studying engineering for the first time and reinforce the role of mathematics in the various branches of engineering.
- UPDATED! An engineering applications section in every chapter provides arresting ways to tackle and model problems and gives much-needed context to different mathematical work that needs to be carried out in the real world.
This product includes an access card which provides access to MyLab Maths.