Streamlined and modern presentation and pedagogy:
- NEW! Dynamic authors bring deliver the friendly yet focused narrative while preserving the excellence of the Sears and Zemansky legacy. The Tenth Edition conveys a precise, careful, and straightforward understanding of physics, emphasising the connections between concepts and incorporating the best principles of education research.
- NEW! Completely redesigned interior creates an open, friendly appeal while helping students navigate and focus through major principles.
- NEW! Key equations are followed by bulleted “Notes” to guide students through the math and help them relate quantitative expressions to qualitative concepts.
- NEW! An FAQ section at the end of every chapter answers common student questions, drawn from the authors’ vast teaching experience.
- NEW! Learning outcomes at the beginning of each chapter map out what the student should be able to do after completing the chapter.
- NEW! Improved pencil sketches are used consistently in worked examples to emphasise what students should draw while solving problems.
- Visual chapter summaries show each concept in words, math, and figures to reinforce how to ‘translate’ between different representations and address different student learning styles.
- Blue annotated comments guide students in ‘reading’ graphs and physics figures.
- Figures, models, and graphs are placed side by side throughout the text to help students ‘translate’ between multiple representations.
A systematic approach to problem solving continues with this edition by providing research-proven tools that help students tackle each goal. The renowned problems in this text have been revised, expanded, and enhanced by the authors, drawing from their classroom experience.
- All worked examples follow a consistent and explicit global problem-solving strategy drawn from educational research. This 3-step approach puts special emphasis on how to set up the problem before trying to solve it, and on the importance of how to reflect on whether the answer is sensible.
- NEW! Improved worked examples include many new or revised examples updated for relevance and interest.
- Revised transitions conceptually link chapter explanations to worked examples and Conceptual Analysis problems.
- NEW and REVISED! Conceptual Analysis (CA) and Quantitative Analysis (QA) problems help the students practice their qualitative and quantitative understanding of the physics. The Quantitative Analysis problems focus on skills of quantitative and proportional reasoning–skills key to success on the MCAT exam. The CAs and QAs use a multiple-choice format to elicit specific common misconceptions.
- NEW! Bridging problems at the end of each chapter help students move from single-concept worked examples to multi-concept problems at the end of the chapter.
- Context-rich problems in the General Problems require students to simplify and model more complex real-world situations. Many problems relate to the field of biology and medicine; these problems are all labeled BIO.
- NEW! Chapter 0 (Mathematics Review) now features a section on working with data and graphs. This section prepares students to work with data-based problems throughout the course.
- Worked example solutions emphasise the steps and decisions students often skip. Most worked examples include pencil sketches that show exactly what students should draw in the set-up step of solving the problem. All of these sketches have been revised for this edition.
- NEW! Approximately 15% of the end-of-chapter problems are new for this edition.
Connections of physics to the student’s world:
- REVISED! Applications highlight interesting examples of real-world physics in science, technology, and everyday life. More than 60 of these real-world applications are from biology and medicine.
- NEW! More MCAT preparatory material supports the revised MCAT releasing in 2015. In addition to more biological and medical applications, we’ve added 50% more MCAT-style passage problems to the end of chapter problem sets. All passage problems are either new or revised based on the 2015 MCAT guidelines.