Financial Management: Core Concepts contains the following features that facilitate learning:
Student-centric learning material is based around three major competencies:
- Tools, or the key concepts of finance, are developed early on in the course so they can instill confidence in students and later be applied to complex financial problems. Such tools are:
- TVM (Time value of money) Concepts
- Rates of return
- Interest rates
- Making Connections between basic principles and new applications using the tools learned above helps students apply their knowledge to real financial problems.
- Studying for Success facilitates student retention of the material and tests their ability to grapple complex financial problems.
- Tear-out Summary Cards are portable mini-reviews that summarize the major concepts of each chapter, as well as study aids such as include key equations, notation from the chapter, calculator keys, and excel variables.
- NEW! Preparing for Exams builds confidence in anxious students by exposing them to common exam problems and pulled directly from the test bank. Answers are available in appendix 5.
Three-pronged Approach to Problem Solving helps students develop skills applicable to a variety of problems.
- The text teaches students three methods for solving any complex problems--calculator, equation, and spreadsheet--developing a “do-it-yourself” attitude towards choosing the best method.
NEW! All time-related information has been updated in the text to keep the material current.
- UPDATED! Interest rates now reflect the historically low levels of the 21st century.
- UPDATED! Chapters 12 and 13 on cash-flow and cash-flow management have been updated and strengthened.
- UPDATED! Chapter 14 on ratio analysis provides additional insight that makes the temporal nature of ratios more apparent.
Highly stresses connection with and application to real world situations
- Personal Finance Experiences begin each chapter and demonstrate how complex corporate issues can be applied to simple, everyday financial problems, making the text more relatable to students unfamiliar with finance.
- Finance Follies exemplify major financial scandals to put in context how important the subject is in real life.
- Putting Finance to Work are widely varied career snapshots that demonstrate how finance is used in various unrelated fields. This helps non-finance majors understand how the material can be crucially applicable to various fields they may plan to pursue.
- Mini-Cases at the end of each chapter relate chapter concepts to all kinds of business situations and firms. Each case tests student retention with a series of questions.
- End of Chapter Questions, of which there are approximately 400 problems and 180 conceptual questions throughout the book, test student knowledge and help them retain material.
- Advanced Spreadsheet Problems appear at the end of most chapters to provide flexibility in assigning questions to individuals or teams.
A beautifully illustrated text adds a visual component to numerical concepts
- NEW! Illustrations with a Purpose addresses the needs of the visual learner by helping students visualize important financial concepts.
- NEW! Graphic Illustrations are another source the text uses to “see” a concept.