Strong foundation of algebra: The authors devote the first four chapters to coverage of algebra topics that form the foundation of the finite mathematics and calculus topics that follow.
- Foundational Chapters: The text begins with four chapters of algebra that can be used in a variety of ways based on the needs of the students and the goals of the course. Take advantage of all the content in these chapters as needed so students will be more successful with later topics and future courses.
- Diagnostic Tests—As a way to address the often weak algebra skills that students bring to this course, two diagnostic exams are provided just prior to Chapter 1.
- Prerequisite Skills Test assesses student understanding of the core skills students should have prior to starting the course.
- Calculus Readiness Test is designed to diagnose any gaps in algebra skills prior to starting the calculus content in Chapter 11.
- Fully Worked-Out Solutions to the diagnostic tests are provided in the back of the book as a way to help students self-remediate as needed, saving valuable class time. References to specific sections for remediation are provided with the solutions to the Calculus Readiness Test so that students can take advantage of Chapters 1-4 for self-remediation.
- Balanced Approach: Multiple representations of a topic (symbolic, numerical, graphical, verbal) are given when appropriate. However, the authors do not believe that all representations are useful for all topics, so effective alternatives are discussed only when they are likely to increase student understanding.
Built for student success: proven pedagogy, robust exercise sets, and comprehensive end-of-chapter material help students succeed in the course.
- Exercises have been updated to reflect the latest data and to incorporate feedback received on the previous version of the text.
- NEW! Approximately 21% of the 5,487 exercises in the text are new or updated.
- Example/Exercise Connection: Selected exercises include a reference back to related example(s) within the section (e.g., “See Examples 6 and 7”) to facilitate what students do naturally when they use a book—i.e., look for specific examples when they get stuck on a problem.
- NEW! A careful and thorough review of the relationship between examples and exercises has been completed to ensure that students have adequate and relevant examples to refer to when working on homework exercises
- Writing, Connections (relate current topics to earlier sections), and Technology Required exercises are specially marked, and provide variety in addition to the drill, conceptual, and application-based exercises.
- NEW! Exercises are now better paired so that the even exercises require similar knowledge for solution as the corresponding odd exercise (the answer for which is at the back of the book in the Student Edition).
- Caution notes highlight common student difficulties or warn against frequently made mistakes.
- Checkpoint Exercises in the margin are keyed to the discussion in the text. These exercises provide students with an opportunity to practice and gauge their level of understanding after learning a new skill. Answers to the exercises appear after homework exercises in each section.
- End-of-Chapter materials are designed to help students prepare for exams and include a Summary of Key Terms and Symbols and Key Concepts, as well as a very thorough set of Review Exercises.
- NEW! A table at the beginning of the answers for Review Exercises tells students which section of the book will provide help for each review exercise. That same table is available to instructors on the Review Exercise Set page.
Motivation: Students constantly see the math applied to their major areas of study.
- Real-Data Examples and Explanations: Real-data exercises have long been a popular and integral aspect of this book.
- NEW! Examples have been updated to reflect the latest data and to incorporate feedback received on the previous version of the text. Approximately 22% of the 646 examples in the text are new or updated.
- NEW! A list of companies, institutions and agencies referenced throughout the book is provided at the back of the text to help students easily recognise the many work-places where the mathematics is applied. In addition, an index of applications gives students a list of topic-specific applications.
- NEW! Case Studies—the popular culminating activities at the end of every chapter have been expanded to provide options for extended projects and group work. In addition, two of the case studies are completely new and five have been updated significantly.
- Technology is integrated into the text, yet optional, allowing you to incorporate as much or as little as you find appropriate for the course.
- NEW! Graphing calculator screen shots have been updated to represent the latest TI calculator, the TI-84+C. These visuals often prove valuable even to students not using graphing calculators.
- Technology Tips are placed at appropriate points in the text to inform students of various features of their graphing calculator, spreadsheet, or other computer programs.
- Appendix A: Graphing Calculators offers a brief introduction to the relevant features of the latest Texas Instruments graphing calculators.