New Longman Shakespeare is a series of educational editions of the most popular Shakespeare plays studied and taught in secondary schools. They provide teachers with a balanced approach to teaching Shakespeare through the unique combination of close textual analysis and drama activities.
The complete text is accompanied by:
- textual notes which help students to understand difficult words, historical references and key imagery
- a clear and simple plot summary for each page of the play
- activities which develop student understanding of the play, covering themes, character, plot, imagery and language
- actor's interpretations which encourage students to see the play as a piece of drama
- differentiated, exam-style activities at the end of each act, providing practice for SATs and GCSE/Standard Grade
- summative activities which give a complete overview of the play
- information on the social and historical background to Shakespeare's England, plays and playhouses, the Globe theatre and Shakespeare's language.