Words That Sing
is an illustrated collection of poems, songs, and rhymes that will fill children with language, ideas, and imagery, which will help them use and enjoy the oral and written word. Enlarged charts make it possible for children to “read” a much more complex text than they could independently, enabling each child—regardless of reading level—to benefit from the many values and goals that poetry brings to the classroom.
Words That Sing: 100 Poetry Charts for Shared Reading contains instructional suggestions and resources that will guide you in the many ways these poetry charts can be used. It includes:
- Values and goals of poetry
- Recommended tools for using poetry charts
- Instructional contexts for using poetry charts (e.g., shared reading, interactive read-aloud, and independent reading)
- Links to lessons in the Fountas & Pinnell Phonics, Spelling, and Word Study System
- 50 ways to use poetry charts poems
- Planning for teaching opportunities when revisiting poetry
- Bonus content such as additional poem verses, poem variations, poem actions, and instructional suggestions.