A clear and concise, student-focused text that teaches by example and through applications
- Pretests and Posttests promote individualised learning by helping students gauge their level of understanding of chapter topics both at the beginning and at the end of each chapter. These are particularly useful in a self-paced lab or digital environment.
- Section Objectives clearly state the learning objective at the beginning of each section to identify topics to be covered. In this revision, the end-of-section exercises more fully align with the learning objectives in order to encourage and facilitate review.
- A distinctive Side-by-Side Example/Practice Format pairs examples and their solutions with practice exercises, and promotes active learning from the start. Students complete practice exercises while they follow alongside the step-by-step solution for the example exercises. Students use this format for solving skill exercises and application problems throughout the text. This feature was redesigned to follow a notebook style, which encourages students to write in the text as they follow along.
- An early introduction to algebra allows instructors to show students the connection between arithmetic and algebra and helps students grasp key algebraic concepts early in the course.
- Examples and Exercises are based on real data with additional and more varied applied problems that are useful, realistic, and authentic.
- Applications show how math can be used in a wide range of disciplines, careers, and everyday situations. Throughout the text, students are exposed to relevant applications to help answer the often-asked question “When will I ever use this?”
- Cultural Notes show how mathematics has evolved in many cultures throughout the world over the centuries. Each chapter features a compelling Cultural Note that investigates and illustrates the origins of mathematical concepts.
Exercise and End-of-Chapter Highlights
- A variety of exercises gives students the practice they need to master the material.
- Paired Exercises closely reflect the same learning objective. Almost
- Mixed Practice exercises, located in nearly every section's exercise sets, reinforce students’ knowledge of topics and problem-solving skills covered in the section.
- Mathematically Speaking exercises help students understand and master mathematical vocabulary.
- Journal Entry exercises help students understand concepts better by asking them to explain concepts in their own words. Open-ended questions throughout the text give students the opportunity to check their understanding. Students can build on these questions by keeping individual journals. Suggestions for optional journal entries are included in the Annotated Instructor's Edition.
- Mindstretchers are engaging activities that incorporate investigation, critical thinking, reasoning, pattern recognition, and writing exercises in one comprehensive problem set, along with corresponding group work and historical connections.
- Application Exercises at the end of the section show how to apply the topic at hand in a wide range of contexts.
- End-of-chapter material offers students a wealth of review- and retention-oriented material to reinforce the concepts presented in current and previous chapters.
- NEW! Say Why Exercises are fill-in-the blank problems that provide practice in reasoning and communicating mathematical ideas. These are located at the beginning of each chapter review.
- Key Concepts and Skills give students quick reminders of the chapter’s most important elements and provide a one-stop quick review of the chapter material. Each concept/skill is keyed to the section in which it was introduced and is accompanied by a brief description and example.
- Chapter Review exercises are keyed to the corresponding sections for easy student reference. Numerous mixed application problems complete each of these exercise sets to help students test their overall comprehension of chapter topics.
- Each chapter's Posttest allows students to practice for their classroom test.
- Cumulative Review Exercises build on the mathematical content covered in previous chapters.
Study Skills Features
- Math Study Skills Foldout provides tips on organisation, test preparation, time management, and more for a variety of course formats.
- Student Tips offer helpful reminders and suggestions for understanding certain concepts, skills, or rules, and advice on avoiding common mistakes.
- For Extra Help boxes, found at the top of the first page of every section’s exercise set, direct students to helpful resources that will aid in their study of the material.