Written as a textbook for undergraduate and postgraduate students of strategic management and business policy, this book combines a selection of the best in international readings with newly written conceptual material and real case studies from Australian and New Zealand companies.
Carefully structured to allow the course to be tailored to suit different levels and needs, this text covers conceptual issues and then focuses on the unique context in which Australian business operates.
Section I: Introduction to Strategic Management.
1. Strategic management concepts.
2. The concept of corporate strategy.
3. Strategies for change.
Section II: Strategic Analysis Frameworks.
4. The fundamentals of strategic analysis.
5. Cost dynamics: scale & experience effects.
6. How competitive forces shape strategy.
Section III: Strategic Capabilities.
7. Competing on resources.
8. Strategic intent.
9. Analysing resources & capabilities.
10. The structuring of organisations.
11. Coping with hypercompetition.
Section IV: Corporate Strategy.
12. Corporate strategy.
13. Diversification & performance.
14. Corporate strategy: the quest for parenting advantage.
15. Takeovers & corporate diversification.
Section V: Strategic Change & Leadership.
16. Strategy Implementation.
17. Managing strategic change.
18. The leader's new work.
19. Leading change.
Section VI: International Strategy.
20. Global strategy ... In a world of nations.
21. Developing coordination and control.
22. International competitiveness.
Section VII: Australian Strategic Management: Context & Issues.
23. Australia's economic heritage.
24. International competitiveness of Australian business.
There are 10 new cases and 11 updated and rewritten cases
Analysing a case
1. Argyle Diamonds
2. Smoking and health: an industry under siege
3. The deregulation of the Australian domestic airline industry
4. Carlton and United Breweries Ltd: the Australian brewing industry
6. Coogee Chemicals
7. Corporate Adviser Pty Ltd
8. F.H. Faulding and Company Ltd
9. CSR: an adventure in building materials
10. Fletcher Challenge Ltd
11. Pacific Dunlop Ltd
12. Melbourne City Marketing Ltd
13. Qantas: the Australian airline
14. Fisher and Paykel Industries Ltd
15. Foster's Brewing Group
16. West Coast Eagles
17. Lonely Planet Publications
18. Whale watching at Kaikoura
19. Orbitol Engine Corporation
20. News Corporation
21. Black Magic: Team New Zealand and winning the America's Cup