For courses in the Guidance and Management of Young Children.
This text examines the nature of conflict among 2- to 8-year-olds from a research-based, constructivist/ecological perspective - integrating themes of caring, building classroom community, connecting curriculum, involving family and community, and responding to the current educational climate. The author thoroughly discusses children's conflicts, emphasizing that peer and community culture make up the foundation for preventing and resolving conflict, and advocates teaching conflict resolution skills via a "three-layer-cake" of understanding, management, and resolution. Coverage presents ways to create a caring classroom - both in physical environment and curriculum, to work with other adults in a child's life, and to implement peer mediation. Throughout, the material stresses the need to understand all children in light of applicable theory and current "best practice" in culturally responsive and inclusive classrooms.
ONE: CHILDREN'S CONFLICTS WITH PEERS: A FIRST LOOK.
1. An Introduction to Children's Conflicts with Peers.
2. Frameworks for Conflict Resolution: Responding to Issues of Violence, Peace Education, and Safe Environments.
TWO: PEER CONFLICT AND CHILDREN'S DEVELOPMENT.
3. Observing and Understanding Children's Peer Conflicts.
4. Characteristics of Young Children's Peer Culture.
5. Cognitive-Developmental, Sociomoral, and Sociocultural Perspectives.
6. Sociological, Sociolinguistic, and Social Learning Perspectives.
THREE: HELPING CHILDREN UNDERSTAND, MANAGE, AND RESOLVE CONFLICTS: “A THREE-LAYER CAKE.”
7. Creating a Caring Classroom.
8. Curriculum for Caring and Conflict Resolution: Preschool and Kindergarten
9. Curriculum for Conflict Resolution: Primary Grades.
10. Adult Intervention in Young Children's Peer Conflicts.
FOUR: SUPPORTING CHILDREN'S CONFLICT RESOLUTION BEYOND THE CLASSROOM: UNDERSTANDING AND COLLABORATION IN FAMILY, SCHOOL, AND COMMUNITY.
11. Working with Families and Communities for Conflict Resolution.
12. Program Models for Conflict Resolution.
13. Reflection and Action: Conflict Resolution with Children and Adults.
Appendix A: Observation Tools: Play Scales.
Appendix B: Observation Forms and Resources.
Appendix C: Children's Books for Caring, Conflict Resolution, and Peace Building.