The fourth edition of The Waiter’s Handbook continues to be an excellent resource for those in the hospitality industry. It has been updated to address the requirements in the new SIT07 Hospitality, Tourism and Events Training Package and changes in the industry.
The book is a comprehensive training guide to modern food and beverage service. It explains the technical and interpersonal skills required by today’s waiters for all types of establishments, from casual bistros to formal dining.
New sections have been added to address changes to the smoking laws and cultural and special dietary requirements. New photographs have also been added to help illustrate key areas of technique in the table service industry.
The glossary has been updated to take in these changes in industry and it continues to explain the food and beverage terminology and the culinary words and phrases from cooking traditions all around the world. It also includes a simple and very helpful guide to pronunciation.
The glossary will aid students in their understanding of both traditional and more modern menus. It makes the book a valuable long-term reference after the technical and service skills have been mastered.
Graham Brown has had a distinguished career in TAFE and is well known for his work in international hospitality projects.
Karon Hepner is Manager, Hospitality and Business Management, at William Angliss Institute of TAFE in Melbourne, Victoria.
- SITHCCC029A Prepare foods according to dietary and cultural needs
- SITHFAB003A Serve food & beverage to customers
- SITHFAB004A Provide food & beverage service
- SITHFAB005A Provide table service of alcoholic beverages
- SITHFAB008A Provide room service
- SITHFAB010A Prepare and serve non-alcoholic beverages
- SITHFAB011A Develop and update food and beverage knowledge
- SITHFAB012A Prepare and serve espresso coffee
- SITHFAB017A Provide guéridon service
- SITHFAB018A Provide silver service
- SITHIND001A Develop & update hospitality industry knowledge
- SITXEVT005A Organise in-house events & functions
- SITXFIN001A Process financial transactions
Also support the delivery of the following units that relate to F&B service in work placements:
- SITHFAB020A Apply food and beverage skills in the workplace
- SITHFAB021A Provide and coordinate food and beverage service
- SITHIND003A Provide and coordinate hospitality service
Login as educator/teacher to access restricted resources