The research-based and validated Developmental Reading Assessment K-3 by Joetta Beaver and Primary Classroom Teachers helps you pinpoint students' strengths and abilities as readers in a quick, one-on-one conference.
Now in its second edition, DRA2 for grades K-3 has added a fluency component that provides a WPM fluency rate, streamlines the assessment for easier use, and includes several new and revised Benchmark Books, a revised Teacher Guide, a simplified Focus for Instruction, and Continuums to match each assessment text incorporated in the Teacher Observation Guides. In addition, this package also includes Word Analysis to help you assess 40 important skills in the areas of Phonological Awareness, Metalanguage, Letter/Word Recognition, Phonics, and Structural Analysis and Syllabication.
Includes DRA2 K-3 Comprehensive Package:
- Teacher’s Guide
- 1 set of 23 grades K-1 Benchmark Books
- 3 sets of 22 grades 2-4 Benchmark Books
- Spiral-bound Blackline Masters Book
- Blackline Masters CD (with PDFs)
- Laminated Assessment Procedures Overview Card with a Record of Oral Reading Guidelines
- Training DVD
- Timing Calculation Clipboard
- DRA Word Analysis (including a Teacher’s Guide; Student Assessment Book; and Training DVD)
- Organizer with hanging folders
- 30 Student Assessment Folders
PLUS DRA2 Progress Monitoring Assessment:
- Teacher’s Guide
- CD-ROM (95 levelled passages and Blackline Masters)
- 16 Instructional Routine Cards
Give educators the tools they need to observe and document student reading abilities as well as inform instructional practice.
- Determine each student’s independent (or instructional) level with an evaluation of three components of reading: reading engagement, oral reading fluency, and comprehension
- Quickly determine student’s instructional needs with the completed Continuum. Based on those needs, teachers create a plan documenting what each student needs to learn next with the Focus for Instruction. Once the assessment is complete, teachers can used this information to differentiate instruction and create instructional groups.
- Obtain more in-depth information with DRA Word Analysis, included with DRA2 K-3. This diagnostic assessment provides educators with a systematic means to observe how struggling and emerging readers attend to and work with various components of spoken and written words.
With a bachelor of science in elementary education and master's degree in reading from The Ohio State University, Joetta Beaver worked as an elementary teacher (K-5) for 30 years, as well as a K-5 Language Arts/Assessment coordinator and an Early Education teacher-leader. She is the primary author of DRA2 K-3, co-author of DRA2 4-8 and Developing Writer's Assessment (DWA), consultant, and speaker.
With assessment the focus of much of his professional work, Mark Carter served as a coordinator of assessment for Upper Arlington Schools (where he currently teachers fifth grade), conducted numerous seminars, and co-authored DRA2 4-8, DWA, and Portfolio Assessment in the Reading Classroom. He received his doctorate of philosophy from The Ohio State University where he also taught graduate courses in education as an adjunct professor.
Assessment that drives success!
A powerful diagnostic tool, DRA2 is designed to inform assessment-driven reading instruction and identify student reading levels for Grades K–8. DRA2+ includes the NEW DRA2 Progress Monitoring Assessment to monitor the progress of struggling readers between benchmark periods.