A Practical Guide to Working with Children offers the foundation knowledge and skills required to provide quality care for young children.
In addition to a fundamental understanding of child development, this text provides information on effective interaction and stimulation of young children.
Details on all aspects of care are discussed including routines, food handling and providing food and drink to children.
Every childcare professional must also have an understanding of the ethical issues involved and know how to participate effectively in the workplace. These and related topics such as reducing harm, ensuring children’s health and safety and responding to illness, accidents and emergencies are also covered.
With clearly stated objectives and activities, A Practical Guide to Working with Children is an invaluable reference for anyone wanting to work in the field.
A Practical Guide To Working With Children supports the delivery of the following competency units in the CHC02 Community Services Training Package:
- CHCCHILD1C Identify and respond to children and young people at risk of harm
- CHCCN1C Ensure children's health and safety
- CHCCN2C Care for children
- CHCCN4D Respond to illness, accidents and emergencies
- CHCCN5C Care for babies
- CHCCOM2B Communicate appropriately with clients and colleagues
- CHCCS301A Work within a legal and ethical framework
- CHCFC1C Support the development of children in the service
- CHCIC1C Interact effectively with children
- CHCOHS301A Participate in workplace safety procedures
- CHCORG3B Participate in the work environment
- CHCPR1C Deliver services/activities to stimulate children's development and enhance their leisure
- CHCPR3C Develop an understanding of children's interests and developmental needs
- HLTFA1A Apply basic First Aid
This text can be used to support the following CHC08 competencies:
- CHCCHILD401A Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- CHCCN301A Ensure the health and safety of children
- CHCCN302A Provide care for children
- CHCCN305A Provide care for babies
- CHCCOM302C Communicate appropriately with clients and colleagues
- CHCCS400A Work within a relevant legal and ethical framework
- CHCFC301A Support the development of children
- CHCIC301D Interact effectively with children
- HLTOHS300A Contribute to OHS processes
- CHCORG303A Participate effectively in the work environment
- CHCPR301A Provide experiences to support children’s play and development
- CHCPR303D Develop an understanding of children’s interests and developmental needs
- HLTFA301B Apply first aid