This practical book takes the mystery out of scientific writing by taking students through the process in plain and clear language. A Guide to Scientific Writing covers undergraduate writing tasks as well as preparing reviews and more advanced forms of scientific writing.
Part 1 The Journal Article
1. First Draft - Getting started
2. Second Draft - Getting it Together
3. Third Draft - Readability
4. Final Draft - Editing
Part 2 Broadening the Scope of Scientific Writing
5. The Review
6. The Seminar or Conference Paper
7. Student Practicals and Reviews
8. The Thesis
9. Writing Science for Non-Scientist
Shows students how they can:
- Organise their ideas so that writing a report, a review or a thesis is a matter of logical steps
- Prepare their results for both written and oral presentation so that key facts are stressed and the exciting results conveyed to engage the audience.
- Present their science without the clutter of jargon and unnecessary padding.