Preface to the Third Edition
Preface to the Second Edition
Preface to the First Edition
1. Culture War?
2. If America is not Polarized, Why Do So Many Americans Think it is?
3. A 50:50 Nation? Red and Blue State People are Not That Different.
4. A 50:50 Nation? Beyond the Red and the Blue States.
5. A Closer Look at Abortion.
6. A Closer Look at Homosexuality.
7. Have Electoral Cleavages Shifted?
8. The 2004 Election and Beyond.
9. Reconciling Micro and Macro.
10. How Did It Come to This and Where Do We Go From Here?
Epilogue. The Road to and from 2008
Authored by one of the most respected political scientists in America, this brief, trade-like text looks at controversial and hot topic issues (such as homosexuality, abortion, etc.) and argues that most Americans are not polarized in relation to them.