The Second Edition of Contrastes: grammaire du français courant remains what it originally set out to be: a comprehensive French grammar review geared specifically to English-speaking students from the intermediate to the advanced levels. Written in French (with occasional footnotes and explanations in English), it is meant for those who have already acquired a foundation in French through contextual or communicative approaches, but who need to review and expand upon what they already know. Contrastes can be used as either a basic text or a grammar reference, and is designed specifically for instructors who prefer to use a straight-forward grammar textbook in tandem with their own choice of cultural or literary materials.
1. Le présent de l’indicatif; L’impératif
2. Les articles; Quantités, préparations et subtances; Omission de l’article
3. Les pronoms objets directs et indirects; Les pronoms y et en; Place des pronoms
4. Les pronoms disjoints; Formes des pronoms dans certaines constructions idiomatiques
5. Les adjectifs et pronoms démonstratifs
6. L’interrogation directe
8. La négation
9. Le passé de l’indicatif; Le récit au passé
10. Les participes présent et passé
11. Le futur et le conditionnel
12. Le subjonctif
14. L’expression de la condition
15. Le discours indirect au passé
16. Les subordonnées relatives
17. L’expression du temps
18. Le passif
19. La comparaison
20. Les indéfinis
21. Pluriels et accords
Appendice 1 Prépositions
Appendice 2 Verbes pronominaux
Appendice 3 Temps rares ou littéraires
Appendice 4 Tableaux de verbes
Index des verbes
- NEW - Chapter 20, on the indefinite adjectives, pronouns, adverbs and locutions, and Chapter 21, on special issues related to plural and agreement are new to the Second Edition.
- The récit au passé, which used to occupy Chapter 16, has been condensed and now constitutes the second part of Chapter 9, while the section on rare or literary tenses is now Appendix 3.
- NEW - Appendix 1 on prepositions and Appendix 2 on reflexive verbs are both new to the Second Edition.
- Appendix 4 now provides of a more compact version of conjugation tables.
Streamlined, clarified and simplified explanations.
- Some of the more arcane or difficult constructions which are less frequently covered have been moved toward the end of chapters, or into appendices to help students focus on the more commonly used formations.
Filtering of material according to level.
- A new design featurefalls alongside the more advanced or complex topics within each chapter so instructors and students at the intermediate level can more easily tailor the textbook to their own pedagogical needs. With the ability to filter out sections meant for the more advanced levels, students can continue to use the same book as they progress through the curriculum and beyond.
Separate verb index.
- A new verb index that refers to conjugations and/or particular verbal constructions allows students to easily find explanations and uses of commonly used verbs without difficulty.
- An interactive version of the Contrastes 2/e workbook is now available on MyFrenchLab™, a new, nationally-hosted online learning system, which brings together–in one convenient, easily navigable site–a wide array of language-learning tools and resources. MyFrenchLab™ includes Readiness Checks and Grammar tutorials with personalized instruction to meet the unique needs of individual students. Instructors can use the system to make assignments, set grading parameters, and provide feedback on student work. Instructor access is provided at no charge, and students can purchase access codes either online or at their local bookstore.