This comprehensive text for early childhood educators explores the various factors that influence the development of a physically and psychologically healthy and safe lifestyle for infants, toddlers, and young children.
Physical and psychological health and safety are critical to the education of today's children. This text presents information, practical knowledge, and skills to develop positive attitudes in children and early childhood professionals by emphasizing the role of family and culture in child development. The Young Child and the Environment expands on the foundation of developmentally appropriate physical activity, with chapters on topics such as movement development, physical fitness, nutrition, safety in the early childhood learning environment, and the responsibility of parents and communities in developing healthy attitudes and lifestyles for the young.
I. GLOBAL ISSUES CONCERNING INFANTS, TODDLERS, AND YOUNG CHILDREN.
1. Health and Fitness Concerns of Infants, Toddlers, and Young Children.
2. Developmentally Appropriate Foundations for Infants, Toddlers, and Young Children.
II. HEALTH AND SAFETY ISSUES CONCERNING INFANTS, TODDLERS, AND YOUNG CHILDREN.
3. Nutrition and the Healthy Child.
4. Principles of Environmental Hygiene and Infection Control.
5. Safety in the Early Childhood Learning Environment.
6. Physical Fitness.
III. MOVEMENT ISSUES CONCERNING INFANTS, TODDLERS, AND YOUNG CHILDREN.
7. Movement Development.
8. Movement Programs for Infants, Toddlers, and Young Children.
IV. PROGRAMMATIC DEVELOPMENT.
9. Developing Healthy Lifestyles.
10. Parent and Community Partnerships.