A member of the PH OD Series! How can you influence a situation in the workplace without the direct use of power of formal authority? This book shows you how by presenting the core theoretical foundations and basic prescriptions for effective management.
I. PROCESS CONSULTATION DEFINED.
1. What Is Process Consultation?
II. HUMAN PROCESSES AND HOW TO INTERVENE IN THEM.
2. Human Processes in Organizations: An Overview.
3. Communication Processes.
4. The Process of Building and Maintaining a Group.
5. Group Problem-Solving and Decision-Making.
6. Group Growth and Development: Norms and Culture.
7. Leading and Influencing.
8. Appraising Performance and Giving Feedback.
9. Intergroup Processes.
III. THE CONSULTING PROCESS IN ACTION.
10. Establishing Contact and Defining a Relationship.
11. Settings and Methods of Work.
12. Diagnostic Interventions.
13. Influencing Process through Confrontive Interventions: Agenda Management.
14. Confronting through the Use of Feedback.
15. Coaching, Counseling, and Structural Suggestions.
16. Evaluation of Results and Disengagement.
17. Process Consultation in Perspective.
Appendix A: Memo I: Some Comments on Internal Auditing and Control Programs.
Appendix B: Memo II: Organization.
Appendix C: Memo III: Erosion of Rationality: One Hazard of Internal Competition on Product Planning.