For courses in ethnomusicological theory.
This book covers ethnomusicological theory, exploring some of the underpinnings of different approaches and analyzing differences and commonalities in these orientations. This text addresses how ethnomusicologists have used and applied these theories in ethnographic research.
Chapter 1: Inquiry in Ethnomusicology
Chapter 2: Cultural Evolutionism and Diffusionism in Comparative Musicology
Chapter 3: Structural-Functionalist Approaches in Ethnomusicology
Chapter 4: Linguistic Approaches in Ethnomusicology
Chapter 5: Paradigmatic Structuralism in Ethnomusicology
Chapter 6: Marxist Explanations in Ethnomusicology
Chapter 7: Literary and Dramaturgical Theories in Ethnomusicology
Chapter 8: Cognition and Communication Theory in Ethnomusicology
Chapter 9: Performance Theory in Ethnomusicology
Chapter 10: Gender, Ethnicity, and Identity Issues in Ethnomusicological Theory
Chapter 11: Phenomenology and Experiential Ethnomusicology
Chapter 12: History in Ethnomusicology
Chapter 13: Postmodern, Postcolonial, and Global Issues in Ethnomusicology
Chapter 14: Convergence and Divergence in Theory
What do you cover when teaching ethnomusicology?
- Outlines basic assumptions of each theory using basic, clear, inclusive ideas to build foundational knowledge.
- Compares theories one with another to show integration, clear differences and contrasts, as well as historical development from one theory to another.
- Examples are interesting reading that present rich details of musical performance. They connects these details to the more abstract theoretical ideas.
- Diagrams and musical transcriptions help students in understand how theories are applied in ethnomusicology.
- Text boxes highlight definitions of key terms and concepts.
Ruth Stone has taught at Indiana University for more than twenty-five years and is the Laura Boulton Professor in the Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology, Professor of African Studies, as well as the Co-Project Director of the EVIA Digital Archive of ethnographic video performance.