It’s nearly midnight on Greg Jones’ eleventh birthday and he’s cold, wet, hungry and in trouble. Worse, he is trouble. It seems everything that’s gone wrong with his family lately – and there’s plenty – is all his fault. His mum is in hospital because of him. His dad is off in his truck in the back of beyond, and probably not coming home, because of him. In twelve years, Greg has made enough mistakes to fill a book. But maybe the book will still have room for a good chapter if he can track down that scumbag Bargain Bob and make him give back their money.
What Nitty Gritty
brings to your classroom:
- High interest, rich texts with themes relevant and of interest to young adolescents
- Stimulating and engaging discussion prompts, and activities focusing on key critical literacy areas including author purpose, power of language, characterisation, bias, point of view and more.
- Cutting-edge design and text layout to engage young adult readers
- Text written by a range of local and international authors including Diana Noonan, Jillian Sullivan, William Taylor, Stu Duval, Tina Shaw, John Lockyer, Glynne MacLean and more
- a range of genres: mystery, adventure, historical fiction, science fiction, fantasy and contemporary fiction
- Different social and cultural perspectives, strong themes and messages to spark discussion. and encourage the questioning, challenging and deconstructing of texts
- Gatefold back covers with critical literacy discussion prompts for literature circles.
Tom Bradley’s a high-profile New Zealander who’s produced scores of stories for younger minds. His 15 books have been enthusiastically reviewed, and he’s written over 100 TV animation scripts for international syndication. Tom’s also written TV sketch-comedy, stage musicals, commentaries and columns for the Internet and print media, plus he’s an award winning radio writer. He’s run writing workshops for young and old, and his life experiences include being a dad, TV network news presenter, pirate-radio rock DJ, singer, voice-over artist and media coach.