Professor Eric Mazur on transforming education outcomes and beyond

Changes within education sound simple in practice but are really difficult to employ. What do educational institutions need to do to catch up with the learner?

I think they are not difficult to implement, but that doesn't mean that change is easy. The first step that any educational institution needs to do is to convince the stakeholders - teachers, administration, students and parents; that unless we change, we won't create individuals who will be successful in their later careers, and also help to create an environment where everybody feels comfortable with accepting potential failures.

Eric_SageStage

Does an innovative learning space matter in this future? Do these sorts of practices have a place in any type of learning space?

It is very important to change our learning spaces. Most learning spaces are designed as an auditorium, and when you put students in a space like that they turn into a passive observer. So redesigning it to be more student centered is crucially important. Changing the role of the faculty member from being the 'sage on the stage to the guide on the side' is very important.

If we rethink our education practice, what now do we need to rethink in terms of assessment?

We need to ask ourselves what we are testing.

1) We should reflect the real world in assessment practices - students will have access to information. It forces them to go from the lowest order thinking skills—remembering—to higher order thinking skills—analysis, evaluation, application and creativity. Why cut people off from each other? Later on, they will have to work together, so reflect it in the assessment practices. That doesn't mean you take away individual accountability, but there are many other assessment practices available.

2) Focus on feedback, not grades. We know grades don't reflect future success. It is much more encouraging to learn from people, and we don't end up with misleading metrics that don't tell us how successful people will be.

3) We should focus on skills not content, as content gives the context for developing skills. We don't know what type of jobs our students will have, and these jobs might not even exist yet. Therefore skills are much more important because they are transferable, whereas content is not.

4) We should resolve this coach/judge conflict, because only in education do we have the people who teach be the coach and the judge at the same time. Involve the students in assessment; for students to be able to reflect on their own learning and see where they are relative to their peers is valuable information, and by revealing that, they learn.

Eric_Reflect_real_world

Can we over-assess no matter what the method?

I think we over-assess because too much assessment is done simply to get numerical metrics.

However, if we focus assessment on feedback then it's hard to over-assess, because then it becomes an exercise of doing, and the learner will focus on the practice rather than collecting points on some pecking order that might not be very relevant in the end.

What do you believe to be the biggest topics in education globally in the next two to three years?

I think one topic is the role of technology, because we have discovered that what teachers do can be put on the internet. Even though I'm a big proponent of technology I think that it has done little to impact education; most applications of technology in education is simply old wine into new bottles.

We use technology to do something that we're able to do rather than use it to afford a new mode of learning. I hope that people will start to think how to position technology to free up teachers' time to engage in more meaningful activities with students.

Pearson has a mission to report publicly on the measurable impact our products and services have on student learning. How would you measure this?

One thing is test your students, but again you would probably come out with one that tests rather low skills. Unfortunately this is the problem in assessing education, the only true measure of success is to track the students and see how successful they are later in life. That is not easy, so we have to strike a balance between testing things that are easy to collect but perhaps not that informative, versus tracking on the long term.

To finish, think back to when you started teaching at Harvard University, staring into the face of the young Eric Mazur, what words of advice would you have for this young Eric looking into the future?

What I saw as a challenge then was how to make sure I delivered the best lecture I could prepare, but what is a challenge now is being the best coach for students, and how to stimulate the most learning rather than being the best teacher.

My advice to new teachers would be to reflect on their own learning and realise that learning did not occur while listening to teachers; it occurred outside. That's the important part that we should bring back into the classroom.